The bigger brother of MB-3611, this is a fully automatic 9 state charger for 12 or 24V sealed lead acid batteries- wet cell, gel cell and AGM. Advanced diagnostics enable this unit to maximise charge rate while also maximising battery life. You can also switch it onto power supply mode where it will act as a 13.8V and up to 5A power supply, useful in supplying power to computer systems of many modern cars when replacing batteries.
Charging states include;
- Battery test – Checks the battery to ensure it is ready for charging, polarity of leads etc
- Desulphation- Detects sulfated batteries. Pulsing current and voltage, removes sulfate from the lead plates of the battery restoring the battery
- soft start – Initial battery test to determine battery condition. If the battery is severely discharged, charger will begin the Soft Start stage. Charging starts with reduced current until battery voltage reaches a normal condition for charge.
- bulk mode- Major charging stage where the battery receives the majority of its charge. During this stage the battery is charged to up to 80% capacity
- Absorption mode- Completes the charge up to virtually 100% at a slower charge rate to protect the batteries working life
- recondition mode- Select “Recondition” mode, charges at higher voltage to recondition the sulfate of the battery to save battery life.
- Analysis – Tests if the battery can hold charge. Batteries that cannot hold charge may need to be replaced
- Float – Low constant voltage, minimal charge current, battery is fully charged
- Pulse mode- Maintaining the battery at 95-100% capacity.The charger monitors the battery voltage and gives a pulse when necessary to keep the battery fully charged
NOTE: These chargers are not recommended for long-term "maintenance" charging of unsealed lead-acid batteries, the types with removable filler caps and liquid elctrolyte. Long-term continuous float charging of this type of battery may cause loss of water from the electrolyte, ruining the battery. If you are intending to use this charger on these batteries please use an appliance timer such as MS6113 to automatically limit the charging to 30 minutes or so per day.